National History Challenge Australia's Wartime Experiences category
The National History Challenge (NHC) is a research-based competition for primary and secondary students in Australia. It's run and organised by the History Teachers' Association of Australia (HTAA).
The Department of Veterans' Affairs sponsors the special category of 'Australia's Wartime Experiences' in the NHC.
Students who enter this category will gain an understanding of the service and sacrifice of the people who have served Australia in wars, conflicts and peace operations.
Students who enter the Australian Wartime Experiences category will gain an understanding of the service and sacrifice of the men and women who served Australia in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
Students are encouraged to think about events in Australia's wartime history and consider their causes and consequences.
Some possible areas of research might include:
- The evolution of the commemorative tradition in Australia.
- Australia's role in the Pacific theatre of World War II.
- The history of military conscription in Australia.
- Post-World War II conflicts involving Australian service personnel.
- The effects of war on the home front.
These are just some ideas for your entry. Use them as a launchpad for your research. Be creative!
Check key dates on the National History Challenge website.