Indigenous Service Second World War workbook
We've designed this workbook to introduce students to the service of First Nations people during World War II. You could ask students to complete part of the workbook in class or as home learning.
The activities explore:
- the challenges and discrimination faced by First Nations people in Australia at that time
- the different experiences of First Nations defence personnel during their service
- commemoration of the service of First Nations veterans through an extended response.
This workbook links to information pages, books, videos and biographies elsewhere on this website. Some activities may also have links to pages on the Australian War Memorial website.
Download the teacher notes [PDF 1.5MB]
Teachers should note that some of the situations recounted in this resource from different times may use terminology or describe experiences and perspectives that are confronting or considered inappropriate today. This includes the treatment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and descriptions of wars and conflicts. Teachers are advised to be sensitive to the perspectives and emotions of students while using this resource.
This workbook link to the Australian Curriculum (Version 8.4).
Year 10 History
Historical knowledge and understanding
- The impact of World War II, with a particular emphasis on the Australian home front, including the changing roles of women and use of wartime government controls (conscription, manpower controls, rationing and censorship).
- Identify and analyse the perspectives of people from the past.
- Develop texts, particularly descriptions and discussions that use evidence from a range of sources that are referenced.
- Understand the challenges experienced by First Nations Australians in society at the time of World War II.
- Understand the perspectives of people from the past.
- Be able to write a summary of their learning including some of their own research.
We always strive to improve and welcome your feedback on our teaching resources. Complete the 'Was this page helpful?' form or send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.