Best resources for Year 9 Australian History Curriculum
Enrich your lesson plans with historically accurate information and excellent primary sources. You can download free books and classroom activities from our site.
Education specialists and historians who work at the Australian Government Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) have prepared these materials to present the stories and images of people who have served Australia in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
Hard copies of many of our books and resources should be available in your school library. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request hard copies for your school.
Secondary school resources
- Gallipoli and the Anzacs: A Resource for Secondary Schools
- Australians on the Western Front: A Resource for Primary and Secondary Schools
- Great Debates: Australian Women and the Second World War
- Great Debates: Anzac Legend
- Great Debates: Conscription
- Indigenous Service: A Resource for Secondary Schools
- Schooling, Service & the Great War
- The War That Changed Us: 4-part television series on World War I
Australians in World War I series
Australians on the Western Front series
- 1916 Fromelles and the Somme
- 1917 Bapaume and Bullecourt
- 1917 Ypres
- 1918 Amiens to the Hindenburg Line
Century of Service series
In the Hall of Memory at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, there are 15 stained-glass windows. Each shows a figure dressed in military uniform, and under each figure is a word that describes a quality displayed by Australians during wartime. This series of books was inspired by those qualities.
- Ancestry—Stories of multicultural Anzacs
- Audacity—Stories of heroic Australians in wartime
- Candour—Stories in the words of those who served 1914—18
- Comradeship—Stories of friendship and recreation in wartime
- Control—Stories of Australian peacekeeping and humanitarian operations
- Curiosity—Stories of those who report during wartime
- Decision—Stories of Leadership in the Services
- Devotion—Stories of Australia's Wartime Nurses
- Resource—Stories of innovation in wartime