Best teaching resources for Year 9 HASS and History Australian Curriculum
Then enrich your lesson plans with historically accurate information and excellent primary sources in our free teaching resources.
Our education specialists and historians have prepared these materials to present the stories and images of people who have served Australia in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
You can download free books and classroom activities from our website. Hard copies of many of our books and resources might be available in your school library. If not, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post you a free hard copy if we have it stock.
Information for secondary school teachers and activities for students.
- Gallipoli and the Anzacs: A Resource for Secondary Schools
- Australians on the Western Front: A Resource for Primary and Secondary Schools
- Indigenous Service: A Resource for Secondary Schools
- Stories of Indigenous Service
- Generations of Service: The Lovett Family Digibook
- Schooling, Service & the Great War
- The War That Changed Us: 4-part television series on World War I
- Australian Woman in War: Service, Courage and Care
- Their Spirit, Our History
- Coming Home: An investigation of the Armistice and Repatriation
Great Debates classroom activity
Stories of Service short films
Narrated biographies of people who served in World War I, in under 8 minutes.
Short documentary and oral histories
- Australians on the Western Front (film)
- Veterans’ Stories (interviews)
- Recording oral histories with veterans
- Reflections: Capturing Veterans' Stories
- Researching Australians at war
- Australians at War Film Archive
Australians in World War I book series
- Australian Light Horse
- Australian Light Horse—Palestine 1916–1918: Educational Activities
- Australian Flying Corps
- Australian Light Horse-Palestine 1916-1918: Educational Activities
- Gallipoli: Educational Activities
- Home Front
- Home Front: Educational Activities
- Royal Australian Navy
- Royal Australian Navy: Educational Activities
Australians on the Western Front book series
- 1916 Fromelles and the Somme
- 1917 Bapaume and Bullecourt
- 1917 Ypres
- 1918 Amiens to the Hindenburg Line
- Australians on the Western Front 1916 –1918: Educational Activities
Learn more about artists capturing the wartime experiences of Australians.
The Sock Knitter
Painted during World War I by Grace Cossington Smith.
Century of Service book series
In the Hall of Memory at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, there are 15 stained-glass windows. Each shows a figure dressed in military uniform, and under each figure is a word that describes a quality displayed by Australians during wartime. This series of books was inspired by those qualities. Most of the books include information about World War I.
- Ancestry—Stories of multicultural Anzacs
- Audacity—Stories of heroic Australians in wartime
- Candour—Stories in the words of those who served 1914—18
- Comradeship—Stories of friendship and recreation in wartime
- Control—Stories of Australian peacekeeping and humanitarian operations
- Curiosity—Stories of those who report during wartime
- Decision—Stories of Leadership in the Services
- Devotion—Stories of Australia's Wartime Nurses
- Endurance—Stories of Australians in wartime captivity
- Patriotism—Stories from the Australian home front during the Second World War
- Resource—Stories of innovation in wartime
Indigenous Service workbooks
Five ready-to-use workbooks introduce students to the military service of First Nations people. You could ask students to complete parts of each workbook in class or as home learning.
- Indigenous Service Commemoration through Poetry workbook
- Indigenous Service Artwork Analysis workbook
- Indigenous Service First World War workbook
- Indigenous Service Second World War workbook
- Indigenous Women Second World War workbook
Other great resources for Year 9 History classes
- Wartime Australians: Billy Hughes
- Australian Women in War
- Australians Women and War
- Chinese Anzacs
- Forever Yours
- We'll Meet Again
Commemoration in schools
Planning a activity in your school or local community? Follow our guidance on planning a commemorative event.
- Anzac Day Kitbag printable resources
- Remembrance Day Kitbag printable resources
- We Remember Anzac: A Resource for Secondary Schools teaching resource